Saturday, July 17, 2010

VMware or VirtualBox on Ubuntu 10.04 - installation and conversion

It seems like whenever I perform an upgrade as an example from 9.10 to 10.04, the VMware build seems to lose it functionality. This has caused me to utilize VirtualBox some months ago and the first key item that I noticed was the ease of installation.





INSTALLING VirtualBox on Ubuntu 

So simple,

They fully support debian and more particularity Ubuntu 10.04 ("Lucid Lynx") with a *.deb download -

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

So you basically just click on the link and use the package manger to run the GDebi package installer -

I did not take any notes when I installed the app but remember it was very simple and I did not have to load any additional libraries - but since I did not take notes you might have to load some dependencies -  sorry I just don't remember.


INSTALLING VMware on Ubuntu 

This section is a pain - As far as I know and based on some searching there is not a supported versions specifically built for ubuntu 10.04 so you have to download the VMware-Player*.bundle file manually to install the application.

These day - were Time is so so premium and if it takes more time that it should to perform a function or use a specific environment, then I turn to other tested solutions.


This was my quick experience trying to install VMware on Ubuntu -

I found some documentation were you download the VMware-Player*.bundle from the website after you register.

Then you change the permission's to +x  and try and run the bundle.
$ chmod +x VMware-Player*.bundle chmod +x VMware-Player*.bundle
$ gksudo bash ./VMware-Player*.bundle

This resulted in a whole bunch of errors and yes I have g++ installed  -

so I tried

$ sudo ./VMware-Player-3.0.0-203739.i386.bundle  --ignore-errors

Then I received this message -

./VMware-Player-3.0.0-203739.i386.bundle: 110: Syntax error: newline unexpected

As stated before I am at a turning point in my life were I used to spend the hours trying to troubleshoot this error message. So if I am aware of a comparable product that can produce the same results that has me up and running in minutes compared to an hour of trouble shooting then I am sold.

So I gave up on VMware on the Ubuntu platform and I have been currently using VirtualBox and will continue to do so,

I can say in VMware defense that at my current workplace were I am forced to use Windows in some areas, the VMWare Workstation and Server products are great.




This is my way of letting of some steam and as a quick reference for a later date so I can remind myself why I am using VirtualBox -

No comments:

Post a Comment